Monday, June 28, 2010

Time for a 2nd look

We've been thinking a lot about the lot we looked at last week. We both really like it, and want to get all the information we can about it.

I've put forth some effort to do that, including asking the listing agent for the perc documents. I have a feeling that there really has not been a perc test done on the lot that's for sale. The owner at one time owned the abutting lot and built a house on it. I think THAT lot perced and he's just assuming that this one will too. But the comments of "Oh don't worry, it's perced" just aren't going to do it for me. I want to see the documentation. I told the listing agent today what my concerns were and my doubt that testing has actually been done. So we'll see what he comes back with. But, given my suspicions, I have also contacted a local soil engineer and picked his brain about what I will need to do to get a perc test done. If they cannot prove that a perc test has been done, I'll have one done before even considering making an offer. It sounds like I could have that done for about $1,000.

Next, I called the the Board of Health in the town to find out how long perc tests are valid for. I was told that if the perc test was done after April 1995, then it's valid indefinitely, as long as their have not been changes to the land since then. I know that the other house was built in 2000, so as long as all the percs were done at the same time, we should be ok.

Also, I have obtained the plot plan from the town, which shows all the boundary markers and measurements. I bought a 200' appraiser's tape measure, so the next time we go up there we can get a better feel for where the property lines are.

I think we're going to head up the Saturday of July 4th weekend to spend some time getting a better feel of things. Hopefully by then we'll know about the perc situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment