Monday, December 21, 2009

Why not just settle for condo living?

I've owned a few homes before. I know what it takes to be a home owner. There is not a day that goes by that something doesn't need to be attended to. I have often felt as though I was a slave to the houses that I've lived in.

So why on earth would I want to do it all over again? I mean I live very comfortably in a condo now. I pay someone to worry about the yard and the trash removal and the snow plowing. Just today, we got a foot of snow here in New England. I have not stepped one foot outside and my driveway and walkways are all perfectly clear. Tomorrow morning, I can get up and just jump in my car and go to work.

Meanwhile, my husband was at his house today and spent a few hours snow blowing. He was out there so long that he had icicles hanging from his beard. Not my idea of a good time. But as the home owner, he had to take care of it. So why do I want to put myself in that position again?

Well, even though a lot of the time it sucks, I really do miss it. I miss my garden and having my hands in the dirt. Plastic planters on the porch are not the same. And while all the neighbors I have met in the condo complex are very nice, I much prefer to not hear or see anyone around me. I love being out in the woods and want a little corner of the earth to call all my own. I want to shape the land to a form that is visually appealing to me. I want to live in a structure that I designed to meet my specific interests and needs. Now that we know we are not having any children, we can safely own a 2 bedroom home and not worry about whether or not we have enough living space.

So even though it seems crazy to some that I would disrupt my carefree life, I'm ready for the next adventure. I know what I want in a home and I've worked hard for many years to be able to afford it. While I'm by no means well-off, I know how to save and be frugal and creative. My husband is very skilled and has great ideas, so I know that between the two of us, we'll create a beautiful place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment