Sunday, December 20, 2009

Will we ever live in a house we love?

That's the question on the table at the moment.

My husband and I are in a unique situation. We happen to have separate residences. We live less than 10 miles apart, and we each pay our own mortgages, taxes and insurance on our respective properties. We didn't start out our marriage this way some 10 years ago, but in low period in our relationship, this is how we have found ourselves.

But now we are back on track, and we want to get back to living together permanently. We also want to live in a house that we love. Of the two properties that we have now, we love neither.

So here is the plan we've laid out:

  1. Sell the property that my husband lives in. (This is the house that we bought together at the beginning of our relationship.)
  2. He'll move into the condo I bought when I moved out of the family home a few years ago.
  3. Whatever money he was spending on his housing, will go into savings/investments to put towards a new house. I'll be the primary financial support on the condo.
  4. We'll design a house that suits our livestyle that we'll be happy and comfortable in.
  5. When we have enough money saved to purchase a piece of land outright, we'll do that. (We'll probably have enough with the proceeds of the sale of the house.)
  6. As we have the funds, we'll build a new house.

That's the plan in a nutshell. I thought it would be a good project to blog about this experience. I know it's not going to be an easy process. I think journaling about is along the way will help me keep my thoughts straight and hopefully keep the stress level under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment